This post is a bit difficult for me to write, while I believe in showing love, it’s sometimes hard for me to do so. But in this current time in our country, we need it. I read something saying that the crisis text line numbers increased dramatically the night Trump was elected, we are all feeling the affects. This is not any normal election, this is an election that is personally harmful to us.
I’m not a minority, neither am I a white privileged male. I fall in the middle of these to categories. I am a strong woman who has survived abuse, sexual assault, and verbal violence. I am diagnosed with Anxiety Disorder, Major Depressive Disorder, ADD, and PTSD. The negative affects our new president has had on my PTSD and Depression are shocking. I am honestly surprised how much fear I felt when I saw him elected. And there are still people who don’t understand that we are not upset because we didn’t get our way, but because we are truly afraid of what this man will do.
Enough about him, though. This is about us, this is about those of us who live every day in this country and in this world. We need to fight this with love, it’s our best option.
So, here’s a little list to spread love today.
- Compliment a stranger.
- Give extra attention to your pets.
- Hold the door open for someone.
- Wish people have a good day.
- Make something for someone.
- Spend time with your family.
- Take a bubble bath and show yourself you care about you.
- Let others know you stand with them.
- Buy someone coffee.
- Let someone go in front of you in line.
- Buy yourself some flowers, or buy someone else flowers.
- Watch a funny movie.
- Text someone to let them know you’re thinking about them.
- Offer to help someone out.
- Give someone a hug.
- Tell your partner why you appreciate them.
- Tell your loved ones how important they are to you.
- Reach out to someone online who you’ve seen struggling, offer to listen.
- Donate clothes and other goods to a charity.
- Donate money to a charity.
- Volunteer somewhere.
- Write little inspiring notes and leave them around town.
- Post to your social media accounts how grateful you are.