We leave for our Flordia trip in the morning tomorrow and I couldn’t be more excited! But, packing now that I have a mental illness in need of attention has changed my packing a little bit. While this post includes that, it’s also a great post for anyone who doesn’t have a mental illness.
Packing can be stressful, I know I almost had a panic attack yesterday. I’m used to packing the night before a trip but, as with any relationship things change. And my routine was changed and I was totally forced to start packing yesterday! Oh, the horror! But seriously, that little change upset my anxiety so much because now I’m half packed and it’s driving me crazy! Hence why this post is split into two parts.
Packing With A Mental Illness (Or Just In General)
1. The Checked Bag (Suitcase)
Obviously, you need clothes. But, how much is too much? I ran into a problem yesterday. Suddenly my wardrobe titled, “I have nothing to wear” turned into, “I have too many clothes!” It was crazy, I always feel like I have nothing to wear but, as soon as I started going through what I wanted to bring my pile was huge! My little fur baby loved it, though!
Here’s what I suggest bringing:
- Pack clothes you will feel confident in
- Pack 3 extra shirts, if you’re anything like me, there will be coffee stains
- 1 pair of extra pants. I’m bringing white pants, definitely need a back-up for those
- 1 extra dress or nice shirt, you never know
- A few extra intimates (boxers, for the guys)
- Don’t forget socks, just don’t
- Pack a sweater, I’m bringing one on the plane but, I have an extra for a little shoulder coverage, I am going to visit my grandparents after all
- 2 swimsuits, always always pack a swimsuit, again, you never know
- 3 pairs of shoes, two in the suitcase one you wear at the airport
- Pillow case (for dirty clothes)
I suggested clothes you feel confident in because I know what it’s like having a mental illness, sometimes it just destroys your self-esteem. You don’t want to feel like crap on your vacation! You want to look hot as hell for all those pictures you’re going to make your boyfriend take of you. Oh, that’s just me?
- Make-up (this is for the ladies, and maybe some of you men)
I always forget something makeup related. So I just wanted to throw in a little list to help you remember.
- Setting powder
- Contour kit (if that’s your thing)
- Eyeshadow pallet (makes it easier to keep track of all your eyeshadows)
- Brow things
- Couple lipsticks
But, bring what you need.
- Self-Care Items
Self-care items are a must. I know most of us almost always forget something.
- Face wash
- Leave-in Conditioner (especially if you’re going somewhere humid
- Body Wash
- Flat Iron, Curling Iron, Hairdryer, whatever
Other self care:
- A notebook to write in when having a rough time with your thoughts
- A good book
- A comforting item (blanket, stuffed animal, whatever makes you feel at home)
- A coloring book (if that’s your thing)
- DVD’s (if you’re bringing a laptop)
So, most of this stuff is pretty obvious. I’ll get more into the mental health tips in my next post.